Arthur: Jeffrey A. D. Weima and S. M. Baugh; Clinton E. Arnold, General Editor
- How the springs at Hierapolis help us understand why Jesus described the church at Laodicea as “lukewarm”
- The background and circumstances of certificates of divorce in Judaism
- How Jewish dietary laws provided a powerful metaphor for God’s acceptance of the Gentiles Brimming with photos and graphics, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary walks you verse by verse through all the books of the New Testament. It’s like slipping on a set of glasses that lets you read the Bible through the eyes of a first-century reader! Discoveries await you that will snap the world of the New Testament into gripping immediacy. Things that seem mystifying, puzzling, or obscure will take on tremendous meaning when you view them in their ancient context. You’ll deepen your understanding of the teachings of Jesus. You’ll discover the close, sometimes startling interplay between God’s kingdom and the practical affairs of the church. Best of all, you’ll gain a deepened awareness of the Bible’s relevance for your life. Written in a clear, engaging style, this beautiful set provides a new and accessible approach that more technical expository and exegetical commentaries don’t offer.
- Commentary based on relevant papyri, inscriptions, archaeological discoveries, and studies of Judaism, Roman culture, Hellenism, and other features of the world of the New Testament
- Hundreds of photographs, illustrations, and line drawings
- Copious maps, charts, and timelines
- Sidebar articles and insights
- “Reflections” on the Bible’s relevance for 21st-century living
Written by leading evangelical contributors: Clinton E. Arnold (Ph.D., University of Aberdeen), General Editor S. M. Baugh (Ph.D., University of California, Irvine) Peter H. Davids (Ph.D., University of Manchester) David E. Garland (Ph.D., Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) David W. J. Gill (D.Phil., University of Oxford) George H. Guthrie (Ph.D., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary) Moyer V. Hubbard (D.Phil., University of Oxford) Andreas J. Köstenberger (Ph.D., Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) Ralph P. Martin (Ph.D., University of London, King’s College) Douglas J. Moo (Ph.D., University of St. Andrews) Mark L. Strauss (Ph.D., University of Aberdeen) Frank Thielman (Ph.D., Duke University) Jeffrey A. D. Weima (Ph.D., University of Toronto) Michael J. Wilkins (Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary) Mark W. Wilson (D.Litt. et Phil., University of South Africa) Julie L. Wu (Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary) Robert W. Yarbrough (Ph.D., University of Aberdeen)
About the Contributor(s)
Jeffrey A.D. Weima
Jeffrey A. D. Weima (PhD, University of Toronto) is a professor of New Testament at Calvin Theological Seminary in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Steven M. Baugh
S. M. Baugh (PhD, University of California, Irvine) is professor of New Testament at Westminster Seminary in Escondido, California.
Clinton E. Arnold
Clinton E. Arnold (PhD, University of Aberdeen) is Dean and Professor of New Testament at Talbot School of Theology in LaMirada, California.
Code: 573 060
Tagline: Softcover Edition
Interior Text Color:
Audience: General Trade
Dimensions: 190.5 x 13 x 232.15 mm
Supplier / Publisher: Zondervan Publishing, Inc.
Category: Religion / Biblical Commentary / New Testament / Letters
Series: Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary
Sets & Volume:
Retail Price: £8.99
Currency: US$12.99 £8.99 CAN$15.99
Availability: In Stock
In Stock: Yes
Pack Size: 44
Release Date: 19 May, 2015